Katharine and Bryant were on the sidelines waiting for the walk to begin, and they were able to catch a few quick pics for us! Thanks, Bairs!!
We were off to the monster bridge!
Clary (in the blue shorts and pink visor) left us in the dust!!The run itself was great... so much to see! The people, the views from the top... amazing. The first two miles were flat before the bridge, the third was straight up the bridge, the fourth was straight down, and miles 5 and 6.2 were flat through downtown Charleston. Clary was quicker than Caroline and I, so she left us before we had even gotten to the first mile marker. Caroline and I proved, though, that slow and steady wins the race... lots of people passed us on miles 1 and 2, but we ended up passing many of them on miles 4-6.
I wish you could have seen some of what we saw. Dad said he saw four people dressed as bananas running. He also saw a lobster being chased by a chef. We saw four men in white, full body suits with colorful hoods, one of them wearing a black thong. We also saw two women dressed as court jesters with signs that said "April Fools", and there was a UPS man running with a package. Lots of matching outfits, tie dye shirts, a bride running with a veil on... too funny. Definitely made things more entertaining. I really wish I had my camera... I would have loved to post those pictures here!
Once we had crossed the bridge, the course had us running through the 'hood. As we ran, there were projects on both sides of us. The awesome thing was that the residents had gotten up and were standing by the road cheering us on!! They were probably some of the most vocal and encouraging cheerleaders along the way!
The last two miles seemed to last a bit longer than the first, but it was still so incredible to be doing what we were doing. Crossing the finish line was the best feeling. There were tons of others around, celebrating the end and the fact that they had conquered the new bridge.
No comments:
Post a Comment