Monday, May 15, 2006

Mother's Day

I know this post is a day late... it was a crazy weekend here and not one that allowed for blogging time! On Friday night, Jackson came down with the tummy bug (again). This one was a doozy, as it took him more or less until today to recover. Yesterday afternoon, Harris came down with it, and last night, it was my turn (what a wonderful Mother's Day gift!!). Poor Jason has it now as I type this...

While there were probably a million and one ways I would rather spend my weekend, it really was ok, and it reminded me that being a mom is so much more than a job... more than being a nurse, a teacher, a chef, a maid, a jungle gym, a police officer. It is a calling, a mission, and a gift from God. As I held my boys this weekend as they were sick or were crying or sleeping, I was totally overwhelmed by how vulnerable they were, how much they needed me, and how much I needed their sweet love.

It was far from the picture-perfect Mother's Day (although I was rewarded with banana-walnut pancakes in bed and some great gifts!), but it was just what I needed to remember exactly what my mission is: to love these two beautiful boys with all my heart.

2 comments:

Katie Bug said...

This is going to sound TOTALLY strange because I don't know you. I am a friend of Elizabeth's and I read her blog every day (and sometimes I read her friends). Anyway, I can sympathize with you because Wednesday before mother's day, my little 20 month old had her first tummy bug. My husband was out of town on business, so I was alone when I found her in her crib, where she had first gotten sick. I held her and rocked her close to me the entire night. (I did not sleep that night) Beside me, I had a stack of towels that I would grab each time she had to throw up. We must have gone through 10 towels. It was the worst night ever, but I knew my only job was to be there for her. Mother's Day, I lay in bed with stomach cramps and went to bed super early. My husband JUST recovered from it yesterday. Luckily, we never threw up with it. Anyway, I wanted to commend you for your mommy duties on mother's day and can honestly say that you were not alone! We live it Atlanta, so it's strange that the same funk is going around there in another state.

Amanda said...

I'm so sorry!! It has been a terrible bug... we are just now getting over it!