Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Keeping Courtney in Your Prayers

I have been debating about writing this post, struggling with it in many ways. However, we are in need of an incredible miracle, and if I can recruit more prayer warriors, it is worth every word.

On Saturday afternoon, Courtney Harbaugh was sweeping her porch at her second-story apartment. As she leaned over the balcony to welcome a neighbor home, the balcony railing gave way. She plummeted over twenty feet and landed on her head on the concrete below. It is all over the news here in Charleston, as many, many people have been affected by this.

Courtney is 24 years old and is fighting for her life at MUSC. My facts may not be 100% correct as they are coming from several sources, but from what we have heard, she has a cracked skull, a broken jaw and collar bone, a collapsed lung, and two contusions on her brain. She is in an induced coma to help allow her brain to heal, and they are telling us the next four days are critical as they begin to try to bring her out of the coma.

This isn't just another human interest story for us. Courtney is a coworker of mine at Little School. She has been our birthday cake-baker. She is one of our babysitters. She is Harris's teacher. Most importantly, she is my friend. I am incredibly sad about all of this. It is so unreal to think that she is lying still in a hospital bed today when Friday we were talking on the phone about our weekend plans and her plans for her class on Monday.

Little School is in a state of shock and grief. We as staff are trying to carry on normally, but Courtney's absence is noticed everywhere. Every time I walk into her classroom I want to see her hugging on the kids or teaching them in circle time. I expect to see her when I pick up the boys from their after school activities. Our kids are expecting to see her when they walk into the classroom each day. It is just so unreal that she is not there. The parents just don't know what to do. Everyone wants to help, but there is nothing we can do now but wait and pray. We are all confused about how to handle this with our children, and we are all broken-hearted that they have to deal with this in their little lives.

I can't imagine what her family is going through right now. The waiting, seeing her like she is, not knowing what tomorrow will hold... I am unable to think about it for long.

I have always listened and agreed that we need to enjoy life to the fullest now and appreciate our friends and family to the fullest each and every day, but I don't think it really sank in until now. It is amazing how life can change in the blink of an eye.

Courtney has never met a stranger. She is incredibly outgoing and full of life, loves people, and especially loves children. She loves to have a good time, is extremely creative, and is up for trying anything once. We have both laughed about and agreed that she and Harris get along so well because they are both such social beings! Harris tells us all the time that Courtney is his best friend, and he is planning on having her come spend the night in his tent with him on his birthday. She is a strong, strong woman, she is well loved, and if anyone can pull through this, it is Courtney.

What I ask of you reading is to please pray for Courtney, to please pray for a miracle. I KNOW that God works miracles, and I know that he can work one in Courtney's life. Courtney is an incredible teacher, and I truly believe the world has so much still to learn from her.

(If you have a Facebook account, there is a group set up for daily updates on her condition called Keeping Courtney in Your Prayers. You can also check out the most recent Post & Courier article here. If you don't have a Facebook account, a new Caring Bridge site has been set up: http://caringbridge.org/. In the “Visit a Caring Bridge Website” field, enter Courtneyharbaugh (All one word, no spaces).

3 comments:

Nancy said...

You are a sweet, sweet friend to her, and I know she feels your support and prayers. Hopefully, she can feel those of us who are strangers to her praying for her as well. Hugs!!

Anne said...

Kelley Brinson gave us an update on Tuesday and our Bible study ladies have her, her family, and all of her Little School families (including yours)in our prayers. God is wonderful God - good will come of this.

Caroline said...

We have been and will continue to pray for her, her family and LIttle School. Your right, God can work miracles.