Miles. Nine miles. That's how far I ran yesterday (well, actually 9.27, but who's counting??). I can't believe it! I was a little sore this morning, but it pretty much went away by the end of the day.
Why on earth did I run that far? No, I wan't being chased. I am training for the Myrtle Beach Half Marathon (13.1 miles) on February 17th. I have set this goal twice before, and for whatever reason it hasn't happened. It is this time... I am over halfway there now, and I am determined to do it, no matter what!
This race is to benefit the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. I was thinking on my long run last week about that and wondering if I knew anyone affected by a blood cancer. On that day, my answer was no. Today, my answer is yes. I found out yesterday that one of our favorite babysitter's brother was diagnosed with Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma over the holidays. I have never met him, but our family loves his sister, and I know that she must be devastated by this news.
I am not a solicitor, nor am I going to to wear a badge with a picture of our babysitter or her brother, proclaiming them my motivation. But, I did receive a letter in the mail from The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society asking me to help raise money for research to find cures for blood cancers. If you are interested in sponsoring me on this run, I would be happy to give your money to the Society. They recommend a $10 donation or maybe $1/mile ($13)... it is up to you. (If you are not interested, that's fine, too!!)
Only four more weeks, each one with a longer and longer run. I'll keep you posted... I am so looking forward to seeing what I can do!
5 comments:
We will sponsor you as long as we don't have to chase you!!! You are amazing!
You rock! I am so proud of you and wish I was going to be right there with you in the MB race. Actually, I will be.... imagine me on your shoulder (ok a mini version of me)cheering you on with each step you take. I wish that I could at least be there with a sign and at the water stops.
Next year, we will be running it together. Good luck Amanda, I know that you can do it!
I know you can do it!! Your wanting to do this amazes me, much less your ability!!
Can't believe you breezed throgh 9 miles! That half marathon will be a piece of cake for you!
You go, girl! I would love to help sponsor you. Let me know how to get it too you (Aileen has my number).
I can't wait to take you up on the New Neighbor Happy Hour. It may be a few months though, we're going to do a few things to the house first.
Keep up the running - I know you'll do well!
Post a Comment