Friday, October 06, 2006

Kickball Update for Nancy

Nancy's sister, Jennie, playing in the outfield.
Me on first, hoping to get the guy in the black shirt out.
Nancy waiting for a good pitch. (These pictures are from a game two weeks ago.)


Last week, Nancy posted about the not-so-great game of kickball she played the night before (be sure to check it out... very funny!). I was at home sick and missed the game, although it didn't sound like I missed anything fun!

Last night, we had our weekly kickball game, and Nancy wasn't able to make it, so I promised an update. Well, we played the Three Dollar Bills (they are the pink team). Yes, any assumption you want to make about a team with that name wearing pink shirts is right on. Anyway, the game was not nearly as exciting as last week's. We did win (5-2), and there was some trash talk going on, but it was all in fun this week. No screaming at the refs or at each other or at the other team, and no checking of the basemen. What was funny were the refs standing with me at first base, drinking their "sports drink", aka vodka and lemonade. I'm not sure if it made their calls any better or worse, but they were pretty funny!

One observation I made last night: there are some players who seem to not trust their team members to do their jobs. They are good players, very supportive and encouraging, but one player in particular has repeatedly caught the ball at the pitcher's mound and run it over to first base (MY base) instead of throwing it to me. I am not scared of the ball, I can catch it and have done so many times, and I have gotten lots of people out. So trust me!! I will do my job!! Isn't that what teamwork is about???

Anyway, I was sad to learn last night that there are only three games left... I feel like we just started! Hopefully we will do well in the tournament and be able to keep going a little longer... I think kickball might be addicting. Or maybe it is just the Thursday nights out...

No comments: